
This post is dedicated to Scotland, outside of Edinburgh. While studying in Edinburgh, we did many side trips around the country, however, I wish we could have done even more. We never made it to the Isle of Skye, for example, but all the more reason to go back some day!
The Highlands
Our visit to the Highlands was done in a one-day bus tour. Were I to do it again, I would rent a car and spend a few days driving around the region, stopping to stay at B&Bs and doing hikes along the way. No matter how you do it though, the Highlands are a must on your visit to Scotland. The scenery is lush, yet unforgiving and I think that you'll gain an insight into Scotland's sometimes brutal history, and perhaps even the Scottish psyche?
Another highlight of our trip to the Highlands was visiting Loch Ness. It was a truly beautiful lake and we even saw the Loch Ness monster!
And while you're in the Highlands you will likely also meet an 'airy coo...er, a Highland cow for you non-Scots.
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond is yet another beautiful Scottish loch. Jared and I spent the day walking and biking around the lake, with a visit to the Castle as well. It's an easy and worthwhile day trip from Edinburgh.
Stirling
I loved Stirling and also recommend it as a day trip or as part of a drive through Scotland. The history of the town is immense and the castle offers beautiful views of the Scottish countryside. And you definitely must go to the William Wallace monument..yes, that William Wallace.
St. Andrew's
Some people love St. Andrew's, others (myself included) could care less. It's a charming coastal town, but I would say skip it unless you're a golf aficionado. As you'll see, the castle and cathedral are just piles of rock...not much to see.






























Harsh assessment of St. Andrew's... But it is true that a few hours is more than enough time to see the town.
ReplyDelete