Sleep
Tempi Hotel - I loved our hostel/hotel in Athens. It was centrally located in the Plaka neighborhood, and best of all, it had air-conditioning! (A definite plus in Athens in July).
Eat
Athens is another great city for eating on the cheap. The tavernas all over town have great and inexpensive food and all serve carafes of house wine. If you say please and thank you in Greek you'll probably get a free ouzo shot. ;) We liked O Platanos.
And I will unabashedly admit that we also liked the fast-food pita place. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name, but if you go to Athens there is the Greek equivalent of Subway all over the place! They have delish gyros, pita and tzatziki. (Please comment if you know the place).
See
Dora Stratou Dance Company- I loved this show of traditional Greek dancing and music. It's possible that being Greek and being a dancer, I am biased, but I think seeing one of their shows is a great introduction to Greek culture.
Ruins! The Acropolis, its Parthenon, Temple of athena, etc...







Thanks so much for your wonderful account of your Greece trip. My husband and I are planning a trip for this June and it sounds like we like to travel in a similar fashion as you guys. I appreciate your hostel/affordable hotel recommendations. All of the people on the Nest and other travel forums tend to have a lot more money then we plan to spend! :) We know we want to go to Santorini and Athens, but are debating between Crete, Naxos, and Paros. It was nice to read your summary of Naxos. When you were in Athens did you take any day or 1-night trips (Sparta, Napflion, Hydra, etc)? Do you have any recommendations for getting around? Is there an easy bus or metro system that you can plan on the fly, or do you have to purchase advanced tickets? We are just taking backpacks and planning on keeping the trip low-key as far as planning so we can change our minds if something better comes along while we are there. PS...if you want to email me any responses, I am at: Faith581@gmail.com
ReplyDelete