
Sleep
Le Village Hostel - This hostel was great for our purposes as we had our own bathroom and access to a kitchen. The location in Montmartre was superb, and you really can't ask for much more in a hostel. (Edit- see hostel in Santorini).
The Sacre Coeur monument was right in our neighborhood
Great views of Paris from the top of the Sacre CoeurSee
The Louvre- Try and get a guide for the Louvre. It's an amazing collection, but a bit overwhelming. We used Frommer's Paris Day by Day which had a great guide to the museum. My favorite part was the room of Greco-Roman sculptures.


Musee d'Orsay - No pics, but definitely my favorite museum in Paris. Don't miss the Degas dancers!Notre Dame - Gorgeous!

Versailles - We did a day trip to Versailles. It's a gorgeous palace, but in retrospect, I think the trip is best made during the spring when the gardens are in bloom.

Pere Lachaise Cemetary - So, I wouldn't call this a must-see, but we were in Paris during some strikes and with all of the museums and stores closed, we needed something to do besides gorge ourselves on more baguettes. Some highlights are Jim Morrison's grave (which we couldn't find), Rossini's grave, and my favorite: Oscar Wilde's. The memorial's design was actually considered too scandalous and you may notice, was then castrated...
Rodin Museum - The outdoor sculpture garden was a highlight.
Centre Pompidou - At the risk of exposing myself as a common plebe, I will admit - I do not like modern art, and I didn't really like the Centre Pompidou. However, if you like modern art this is right up your alley!

A note about Le Village Hostel -- it does have a lockout period (I think it was 11am-5pm. But there is so much to do in Paris that you shouldn't be in your room all day anyway!
ReplyDelete